Paniolos, or Hawaiian cowboys, form an important part of Hawaii’s culture. These horse riders trace their roots way back in the 1800s, when Mexican cowboys were taken to the Islands by King Kamehameha III. He ordered this so that he had in his employ some skilled cowboys who could round up wild cattle and teach the native Hawaiians the proper cattle and horse handling skills. This part of the history of Hawaii is precisely the reason for the emergence of vast ranches in the Island, and as well as modern-day paniolos! If you want to experience being one for yourself and have a horseback riding adventure of a lifetime with Na’alapa Stables’ Kahua Ranch Adventure!
The Na’alapa Stables has been providing fun horseback riding adventures to tourists, and even interested locals, for around 40 years now. Established in the early 1980s, Na’alapa Stables’ riding tours let its guests take an unforgettable sightseeing journey through the Big Island’s countryside, with the beautiful ocean views in the distance. For this tour in particular, Na’alapa Stables’ Kahua Ranch Adventure offers riders a fun time meandering through the spectacularly breathtaking and ultimately relaxing Kahua Ranch, one of the oldest working ranches in Hawaii. In this tour, you and your companions will enjoy a guided horseback riding tour in the ranch, which features panoramic views of the mountains, cinder cones, and coastline of Big Island, while riding through the lush pastures of Kahua Ranch. In these pastures, you may be able to see grazing sheep and cattle, too, which are truly a peaceful sight to look at!
In Na’alapa Stables’ Kahua Ranch Adventure, the ranch’s experienced paniolos will guide you through your tour, so beginners need not feel anxious about going on their first horseback ride. All the horses are guaranteed to be gentle and highly-trained as well, and this is all the more a reason for inexperienced riders to try out this riding and sightseeing adventure! If you are, however, an experienced rider, you may opt to customize your ride to include opportunities for trotting and cantering. As long as your assessed riding level is assessed to be able to do advanced riding movements, then the ranch paniolos will gladly cater to your skill and preference. In Na’alapa Stables’ Kahua Ranch Adventure, all riding levels are welcome to join!
The Na’alapa Stables’ Kahua Ranch Adventure can be booked in the morning or in the afternoon, and you can choose to have a 1.5-hour ride or a longer and more enjoyable 2.5-hour ride. Thus, apart from the riding skill of the rider, the tour duration and schedule may also vary, depending on your preference. The most important thing to note here is that whatever tour duration and schedule you choose, and no matter your and your companions’ riding skill levels are, you will be assured an undeniably good time riding through the beautiful Kahua Ranch and marvelling at the gorgeous natural views of Big Island! Truly, Na’alapa Stables’ Kahua Ranch Adventure is a tour you wouldn’t want to miss out on when you vacation in this part of Hawaii!
Na’alapa Stables’ Kahua Ranch Adventure Tour Highlights:
- Ride at Kahua Ranch, one of the oldest working ranches in Hawaii
- Have a sightseeing experience during the ride, with views of Big Island’s mountains, valleys, and coastline
- Be in the company of well-experienced ranch paniolos and well-behaved horses
Na’alapa Stables’ Kahua Ranch Adventure Special Instructions:
- For the morning ride:
- 1.5-hour ride departs at 10:00 AM; check in at 9:30 AM
- 2.5-hour ride departs at 9:00 AM; check in at 8:30 AM
- For the afternoon ride:
- 1.5-hour ride departs at 1:30 PM; check in at 1:00 PM
- 2.5-hour ride departs at 1:00 PM; check in at 12:30 PM
- Check in at Na’alapa Stables on Kahua Ranch, located at 59-564 Kohala Mountain Road, Waimea, HI.
- The following are not allowed to ride:
- Children below 8 years old
- Adults above 70 years old
- Riders above 230 lbs
- Pregnant women
- Those assessed to not be in good general health
- All those who are allowed to join must sign a waiver.
- This tour requires at least 2 riders to book, and a maximum of 11 riders per trip.
- This tour operates daily.