Observe birds and local wildlife on this Hawaii Forest and Trail nature tour.
Hawaii Forest & Trail has exclusive land access to areas where native and exotic species can be found that can’t be found in the rest of North America.
Head to a private access forest reserve high in the Waianae Mountains where you’ll find only natural sounds and on of the last remaining habitats for the endemic Oahu Elepaio. Also, be on the lookout for the Oahu Amakihi and the native Apapane.
After departure from your hotel, the guide will pick up a fresh deli lunch to enjoy later on the tour and offer a restroom break to guests. From there drive through Kapolei golf course to spot Red Avadavats before heading off on a scenic drive to the North Shore.
On the North Shore, you’ll either walk the dunes near Kahuku golf course in search of Bristle Thighed Curlew and Laysan Albatross or stroll the shoreline looking for pelagic birds, Hawaiian monk seals or green sea turtles. Also, enjoy your deli style picnic while on the North Shore.
The tour then continues down the coast on the east shore to Kailua. Visit a wildlife sanctuary where rare wetland birds can be found, such as the Ae’o, Auku’u and the Hawaiian Coot. The last stop will be at Iolani Palace, a royal residence of monarchs of the Kingdom of Hawaii, to watch soaring White Tern, the official bird of the city and county of Honolulu.
- Trek a private Waianae Range Trail only Hawaii Forest & Trail has access to
- Drive through Kapolei golf course to look for the Red Avadavat
- Enjoy a scenic drive to the North Shore
- In winter, walk the dunes and observe Bristle Thighed Curlew or Laysan Albatross
- Stroll the shoreline and watch for pelagic birds, Hawaiian monk seals and green sea turtles
- Deli lunch from a local deli (usually Kalapawai Deli)
- Drive down the east shore to Kailua to visit a wildlife sanctuary where Ae’o, Auku’u and the Hawaiian coot can be found
- Visit Iolani Palace to observe soaring White Tern
- Deli style lunch
- Interpretive guide
- All entry fees
- Gear – binoculars, daypacks, raingear, walking staffs
- Where and When:
Pick-ups start at 5:50 am and 7:15 am.
Pick-ups are available from select Waikiki and Ko Olina locations. Your exact pick-up time and location will be in your confirmation email.
- Minimum Age: 8 years or older
Guests should be physically fit and able to walk short distances of .5 to 1.5 miles on uneven and rocky terrain unassisted.
- Operation Days:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday
- 10 hours approximately
- Minimum 4 guests per van, Maximum 12 guests per van
- Daypacks, Binoculars, Raingear, Walking Staffs