Join the Diamond Head Luau ohana and experience the beauty of Polynesia through music, dances, chants, and foods overlooking the breathtaking Waikiki Beach!
A Hawaiian holiday is not complete without attending a luau, whichever island you’re staying on. Although luaus are celebrated differently in each location, the spirit of Aloha is never missed. Besides, that is what the Polynesian ancestors taught the younger generation – to live with love, kindness, peace, sympathy, and compassion. In luaus, you don’t only get to wear an Aloha outfit with fresh lei flowers on your neck or tucked behind your ear but also witness unique and traditional Polynesian dances, share a kalua pig, and experience authentic Hawaiian activities.
Diamond Head Luau is the newest addition to the list of luaus in Oahu held in a grassy oceanfront lawn in Waikiki Aquarium – the second oldest still-operating aquarium that was built in 1904. As soon as you arrive, some friendly locals in their vibrant genuine Hawaiian outfit will welcome you with leis and cocktails. You can have a gentle stroll around and savor the calm, tropical atmosphere. Overlooking is the most famous landmark of Honolulu – the spectacular Diamond Head Crater.
You will also have a chance to learn traditional Hawaiian crafts, including basket weaving, tattooing, lei making. If you feel like being artsy, you can get a temporary tattoo of your own. Did you know that the Hawaiians became the best basket makers in all Polynesia during ancient times? For music and dance lovers, ukulele and hula lessons are also available.
If you’re travelling with your children, you can bring them to the Waikiki Aquarium, where they could see displays of various tropical sea life. After the pre-meal activities, it’s time to feast on your farm-to-table buffet dinner with only the freshest ingredients from the island’s farms and, of course, with the kalua pig. Typically in luaus, the pig is cooked in an imu or underground imu. But with Diamond Head luau, it is cooked in an overground umu – a Samoan style of cooking. Dishes are a combination of traditional and contemporary cuisine, inspired by the practices of the native Hawaiians. You can enjoy foods such as Huli Huli chicken, Lomi Lomi salmon, fresh poke, Hawaiian-inspired desserts, and many more. For individuals following a vegetarian diet, lucky you because they have a menu for vegetable options.
After your meal, just as the sun sets over the azure Hawaiian waters and reefs, sit back and relax for a stunning show that you will only see in Hawaii. You can order extra beverages like Mai Tai for a more lively mood as you watch their performers demonstrate the Hula Auana of Hawaii and other dances from Tonga and Tahiti. Let them serenade you with traditional Polynesian songs, including the chants of New Zealand’s Haka. Most of all, brace yourself for a thrilling acrobatic fire dance from Samoa!
Diamond Head Luau Highlights
- Fresh flower lei greeting
- A stunning show overlooking the iconic Diamond Head Crater
- A chance to visit the Waikiki Aquarium
- Learn about the Hawaiian crafts, hula, and ukulele
- Farm-to-table buffet dinner
- Stunning performances about Polynesia’s traditions and cultures
Farm to Table Menu (subject to change based on availability & sustainability)
- Appetizer Station – Fresh pupus (appetizers) with welcome Mai Tais. At the appetizer station, you can order lychee wood-smoked local marlin dip and kalo (taro) hummus served with freshly made taro chips and hoʻio (Hawaiian fern) caprese salad.
- Poi Shooters with Lomi Lomi Salmon – Traditional Poi served shooter-style with Lomi Lomi Salmon
- Salad Station – Mixed greens salad with cherry tomatoes and fresh cucumbers dressed with your choice of vinaigrette along with a fresh assortment of local & seasonal fruits.
- Fresh Poke – Featuring ahi poke mixed fresh with ginger soy dressing
- Kalbi Short Ribs – Grilled Kunoa Cattle co. bone-in kalbi beef short ribs
- Huli Huli Chicken – Free range, cage-free Huli Huli (Hawaiian Style) rotisserie chicken
- Vegetable Dishes – A delicious vegan vegetable curry stew with crispy Aloha Farm Tofu and a roasted farmers vegetable medley.
- Kalua Pork – Juicy Kalua pig cooked off-site in an above ground umu.
- Hawaiian-inspired Desserts – To satisfy your sweet tooth, you can order an assortment of local desserts made fresh by Chef Kate Wagner.
- Side Dishes – To compliment the main buffet dishes, they offer white rice and brown rice.
- Appetizer Station: Lychee wood-smoked local marlin dip and kalo (taro) hummus served with freshly made uala chips (local sweet potato) and Punaluʻu Farms hoʻio salad (Hawaiian fern) Caprese salad.
- Salad Station: Kula baby romaine Caesar salad with parmigiano cheese slivers and cured akule flakes (Hawaiian smoked meat). Maui baby green salad with cherry tomatoes and fresh cucumbers from Ho Farms dressed with your choice of extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar or lilikoi vinaigrette
- Poi Shooters with Lomi Lomi Salmon: Traditional poi served shooter-style with lomi lomi salmon
- Fresh Poke: Featuring homemade poke including limu ahi poke with ginger soy dressing
- Kalbi Short Ribs: Grilled Kunoa Cattle Co. bone-in-kalbi beef short ribs
- Huli Huli Chicken: Free range, cage-free huli huli (Hawaiian style) rotisserie chicken breast
- Vegetable Dishes: A delicious vegan vegetable curry stew with crispy Aloha Farm tofu and a roasted farmers vegetable medley
- Kalua Pork: Juicy kalua pig cooked off-site in an above ground umu.
- Hawaiian-inspired Desserts: Fresh, seasonal island fruit assortment, traditional haupia (coconut pudding) and fruit pie made with ulu (breadfruit), mango and uala (local sweet potato)
Side Dishes: White rice, brown rice and taro rolls with apple banana butter
Diamond Head Luau Packages
STANDARD LUAU PACKAGE
- Fresh flower lei greeting & Welcome Mai Tai cocktail
- Two (2) Standard* drink tickets – additional drinks may be purchased at the luau
- Standard luau seating
- Waikiki Aquarium admission (value of $12)
- Fresh flower lei greeting & Welcome Mai Tai cocktail
- Two (2) Premium* drink tickets – additional drinks may be purchased at the luau
- Premium luau seating – front rows seating area
- Waikiki Aquarium admission (value of $12) – once luau doors open
STANDARD DRINKS: Mai Tai, Pina Colada (Blended), Kona Brewing Company – Kona Longboard Lager Beer, Kona Brewing Company – Wailua Wheat Beer, Maui Blanc Pineapple Wine. Guests may purchase additional drinks (Standard drinks are $8 – cash only).
PREMIUM DRINKS: Mango Daiquiri (Blended), Blue Hawaii, Maui Coconut Porter, Maui Hula O Maui Pineapple Sparkling Wine. Guests may purchase additional drinks (Premium drinks are $10 – cash only).
- Location and Time: Check-in begins at 4:45 pm and doors open at 5:30 pm at the Waikiki Aquarium, located at 2777 Kalakaua Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815.
Luau ends around 8:00 pm (15 minutes earlier on Friday nights for fireworks show). Admission to the aquarium will begin when the doors open for the luau.
- Restrictions: There are no specific restrictions for this activity. Children three years old and under are considered lap children and do not get their own seat.
- Operations: Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays.
- Duration: 2.5 hours